Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Good-bye is Such a Definitive Word

I prefer the phrase “see you later.” I hope all of my good-byes this past week have just been little see-you-laters. Actually, I more than just hope for it. I promise to make sure of it. I said good-bye last night to one of the best friends I’ve made in this city, and this morning I had to say good-bye to my roommate, which is different.

Don’t get my wrong, before last night I said good-bye to so many wonderful people, wonderful friends, and wonderful experiences. But I know those experiences are not over. I will be back one day, even just to visit… but one day. The past week has been so nostalgic. After going on a California journey taking in everything I could of that state before I left, I came back to LA to soak up as much as I could in my final days. I’d have to say it was quite productive.

I spent Saturday night with close friends, closer friends, classmates, and pals. It was quite enjoyable, and though a few people couldn’t make it, and I didn’t get to say good-bye, or rather, see-you-later, to everyone, the time I got to spend with those who could come out was great. The night ended almost rather typical actually. Carson offered to drive me home (hah, home, I guess I can’t quite call it that anymore) and decided to be lazy as usual and drive to his and Rob’s apartment to offer his couch to me, as per typical. In any case, the night ended up being a very interesting one.

Sunday night our group of USC grad students/friends had our fantasy football draft. I am very excited to be included in it this year, especially because I am gone, because it will give me even more of a reason to not be lazy and keep in touch with these people. The last four days were busy. I had to go back and forth to school to print forms for work, prepare for my relocation, get rid of my car, and fill out paper work for my new degree objective. The benefit, though, was that I got to see a few more people. I had lunch with Patrick on Tuesday. The end of lunch was tough for me, of course he had to go back to work, but that meant another see-you-later. He is a good friend to have, and I am so glad we became friends, and I will surely miss him.

Tuesday night I had dinner with Carson, and last night I saw him one last time. I think I finally figured out how to say what I want to say. Five simple words work best: “I’m going to miss you.” That wasn’t so hard, but the hard part was yet to come… walking away. It’s going to be so strange not seeing my friend as often as I used to. He is a great friend, and we have a truly great friendship. I will always be thankful for that.

I packed all night and reminisced with my roommate all the antics of the past year. It beyond doubt was an incredible year living together. I couldn’t have asked for a better set up. I hope he knows how amazing he really is, because I don’t think I would have gotten through this year of graduate school, my quarter life crisis, and being so far away from everything I ever knew… without him. I hope he really does come visit ‘da aina’ (‘the island’ in Hawaiian) for spring break.

Leaving isn’t easy when you’re so happy where you are, but I will live. And to quote a memorable character in a great Disney film, “Living would be an awfully great adventure.”

No comments:

Post a Comment