Sunday, June 12, 2011

Cookie-cake Pie


I made this today. Friday night I rolled together some flour, butter, sugar, salt, and water and made myself a bit of pie crust dough and let it sit in the fridge overnight, which turned into over-two-nights, but that is no big deal. This morning I "rolled" (I don't have a rolling pin so I sort of just pushed the dough) out my pie crust in a dish. I used a small box of "just add eggs and butter" cookie dough mix and spread it on top of the crust. I wanted to use the Penna Secret Family Recipe for the cookie dough, but it makes something like 5-6 dozen cookies, and I only needed enough dough for about one dozen, and I didn't have time to make the rest of the batch, so I got a mix. Finally, I whipped together Duncan Hines yellow cake mix with the necessary water, oil, and eggs and poured it on top to fill the pie leaving enough room for the cake to rise.

Nothing having been put in an oven yet, I had my oven pre-heated to 335F and slid the pan in. It baked for 50 minutes to a perfect clean knife, the top golden brown. Once the cake was cool, I topped it off with chocolate frosting, though, to my surprise, the top of a cake being cool is by no means an accurate account of the actual temperature, and my icing started to melt. It looks a little funny, but it all tastes the same. Let me just say, I left it to continue to cool while I went into the lab today, and it was absolutely perfect upon my return.

I'm going to have to make this more often. Happy Birthday, Dad!

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Mysterious6/13/11, 11:40 AM

    Well this sound fantastic, I think I am going to make this over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete