Friday, June 10, 2011

LA Art Walk

One awesome similarity between my two big city lives is the art. As many of you know, First Fridays in Philly is an awesome summer treat, almost as awesome as Center City Sips. Unfortunately I have yet to find anything similar to Sips out here, however, I have stumbled across a First Friday counterpart. The second Thursday of every month (not just the summer, which is awesome) in Los Angeles is the Downtown Art Walk where the art galleries downtown around Main and Spring between 4th and 7th-ish Streets open their doors for free viewings of the art and opportunities to purchase art. Even some apartment buildings in the neighborhood open up their ground floor's large ballroom-like rooms for local artists to display/sell their work. The art walk starts around noon and stays open into the evening until 9/10pm.

Last night I met up with my friend, Kelvin, and his friend, Craig, from college who lives around here, to check out some of the galleries. On my way home from USC, I got off the Dash (a 35cent bus that runs up and down the city) around 5th St, about an hour earlier than Kelvin and Craig, so I made my first stop at the LA Public Library to get my very own library card. I plan on going back to check out a book very soon, because I just finished my most recent read: I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max, and what's better than a free book to borrow?

Kelvin and Craig showed up and we got some food at one of the "hip and trendy food trucks"... yes my grilled cheese was $5 as opposed to $1.25 from Sue's Lunch Truck at Drexel, but hey food trucks are regular in Philly, and a rare occasion in LA. The galleries were awesome, and though this is my third trip to the art walk, there's always something new and interesting. I might even buy something next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment