Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Just Because I Can, Doesn't Mean I Will

On May 24, 2011 the rest of my Ph.D. class and I took the Doctoral Qualifying Exam, also known as the Screening Exam, also known as, the "5-hours-in-1-day-exam-covering-everything-we've-ever-learned-in-chemical-engineering" exam (a lot of hyphens). I received a letter today informing me that I successfully passed said exam. Rightfully so, I think. I definitely put countless hours into studying for that exam, and I worked really hard at performing my best. Regardless of the fact that I am no longer continuing the program, I am happy to know that the hard work I put into preparing for that test paid off. I guess I can officially continue my research as a Ph.D. student at USC... too bad I don't want to.

For the next 24 hours I will be either sleeping or preparing for my interview on Friday. I got the news that I leave Thursday morning for the wonderful island of St. Croix. Jesse is taking me to the airport and from LAX I will fly to Miami, then it's off to the VI. I am so excited that Suzzy will be collecting me at the airport to show me to my hotel. It will be the happiest sight I've seen in a while! It'll be off to bed for me, as my flight gets in relatively late. I've got safety training in the morning to enter the refinery, then it's logistics with HR and a refinery tour. I AM SO EXITED ABOUT THE REFINERY TOUR. When I visited Suzzy there in 2009 we were near the plant, but obviously I wasn't allowed to enter. The place is huge, much bigger than the last refinery I worked at. After lunch is my serious for realisies interview with the same people I phone interviewed with, but this time it's going to be in person, more formal, and more technical. This is why prep is necessary. I have the entire day off on Saturday, and so does Suzzy, which I am really excited about, especially because Suzzy and her boyfriend, Brandon, are also scheduled for dinner with me. It will be so nice to see both of them!

So much is happening in my life so quickly. I am really excited for this change, because not only is it something I need, I feel now it is something I've wanted. I think I am realizing that I chose engineering, and I enjoyed engineering, when I was actually doing... engineering. If I get this job, I will be an engineer again, a real-live chemical engineer, which is what I think I wanted all along. The path I took to get here may be unique, but the destination is quite the same as many others.

Today's fortune cookie: "An unexpected event will bring you fortune."
Carson's fortune cookie: "A friend's success will benefit you."

They have to be related, right? Am I said friend that will be successful? Is this unexpected event going to happen soon, and will my fortune benefit my friend? In a way, for example, by my wallet being filled and me getting the rounds upon my farewell?

I think the wind is with me on this one. I should do some yoga before I take off.

2 comments:

  1. I commend you on your decision making. We sometimes think so heavily on the future that we forget the importance of the present. Miss you! Enjoy your trip. Everything happens for a reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so exciting!!! Good luck!!! :D

    ReplyDelete